Like every month, we present you the most important releases of the next four weeks in October. This time you can expect the sequel of the 13 year old Alan Wake, superheroes in a double pack, the new Forza Motorsport, a huge city building simulation and so much more. In addition, a famous Italian plumber ventures into an adventure full of wonders.
Table of Contents
- 1 The new games in October 2023 at a glance
- 2 Assassin’s Creed Mirage – October 5, 2023
- 3 Forza Motorsport – October 10, 2023
- 4 Total War: Pharaoh – October 11, 2023
- 5 Lords of the Fallen – October 13, 2023
- 6 Sonic Superstars – October 17, 2023
- 7 Super Mario Bros. Wonder – October 20, 2023
- 8 Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 – October 20, 2023
- 9 Cities: Skylines 2 – October 24, 2023
- 10 Ghostrunner 2 – October 26, 2023
- 11 Alan Wake 2 – October 27, 2023
The new games in October 2023 at a glance
But before we present the individual highlights, here is our usual overview of all the important game releases in October 2023. If we have overlooked or forgotten something in view of the quantity, then please write it to us in the comments.
- Trepang (PS5, XSX) – October 2, 2023
- The Lamplighters League (PC, PS5, XSX) – October 3 2023
- New World: Rise of the Angry Earth (PC) – October 3, 2023
- Station to Station (PC) – October 3, 2023
- Silent Hope (PC, Switch) – October 3, 2023
- Scorn (PS5) – October 3 2023
- Warhammer 40,000: Darktide(XSX) – October 4, 2023
- The Fabulous Fear Machine (PC) – October 4, 2023
- Asterix & Obelix: Heroes(PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – October 5, 2023
- Wargroove 2(PC, Switch) – October 5, 2023
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage(PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX) – October 5, 2023
- Front Mission 2: Remake (Switch) – October 5, 2023
- The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope (Switch) – October 5, 2023
- Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless (PC, PS4, PS5, Switch) – October 5, 2023
- Master Detective Pikachu Returns (Switch) – October 5, 2023
- NHL 24 (PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX) – October 6, 2023
- Borderlands 3 (Switch) – October 6, 2023
- Sword Art Online: Last Recollection (PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX) – October 6, 2023
- Roblox (PS4, PS5) – October 10, 2023
- Forza Motorsport (PC, XSX) – October 10, 2023
- Harvest Island (PC) – October 10, 2023
- Total War: Pharaoh (PC) – October 11, 2023
- Honkai: Star Rail (PS5) – October 11 2023
- Star Trek: Infinite (PC) – October 12, 2023
- Lords of the Fallen (PC, PS5, XSX) – October 13, 2023
- Batman: Arkham Trilogy (Switch) – October 13, 2023
- Sonic Superstars (PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – Oct. 17, 2023
- Wizard with a Gun (PC, PS5, XSX) – October 17 2023
- Hellboy: Web of Wyrd(PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – October 18, 2023
- The Jackbox Party Pack 10(PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – October 19, 2023
- Endless Dungeon(PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – October 19, 2023
- Hot Wheels Unleashed 2: Turbocharged(PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – October 19, 2023
- Gargoyles Remastered (PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – October 19, 2023
- Agatha Christie – Murder on the Orient Express (PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – October 19, 2023
- World of Horror (PC, PS4, PS5, Switch) – October 19, 2023
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (PS5) – October 20, 2023
- Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch) – October 20, 2023
- Cities: Skylines 2 (PC) – October 24, 2023
- The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria (PC, PS5) – October 24, 2023
- Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1(PC, PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, Switch) – October 24, 2023
- Ghostrunner 2 (PC, PS5, XSX) – October 26 2023
- Dave the Diver (Switch) – October 26 2023
- EA Sports UFC 5 (PS5, XSX) – October 27, 2023
- Alan Wake 2 (PC, PS5, XSX) – October 27, 2023
- Jusant (PC, PS5, XSX) – October 31 2023
Assassin’s Creed Mirage – October 5, 2023
After three big, action role-playing game-like outings, Ubisoft’s flagship series returns to its roots this year. Assassin’s Creed Mirage transports you tohistorical Baghdad, roughly between 860 and 870 AD. There you take on the role of Basim, who fans will probably remember from Assassin’s Creed Valhalla as the master assassin. Mirage, however, is first about his rise within the Brotherhood of the Hidden.
In terms of gameplay, Mirage is most similar to Assassin’s Creed Unity, i.e. there is still an open game world, but it mainly refers to Baghdad and the surrounding area. You won’t be able to travel through an entire continent. In addition, Ubisoft reduces the role-playing aspects, focuses on assassination missions with sandbox character and a significantly shorter playtime for Assassin’s Creed: Mirage.
Forza Motorsport – October 10, 2023
It’s hard to imagine, but it’s true: The last Forza Motorsport is already six years old! For the successor, developer Turn 10 has therefore taken on a lot and, especially under the hood, screwed on the individual parts. On the one hand, this is reflected in a strongly improved graphics, on the other hand, the simulation aspect is said to have been expanded.
In terms of gameplay, however, the series remains true to itself and offers exciting wheel-to-wheel duels on classic race tracks, which are either officially licensed or fictional in nature. In addition, there are over 500 cars, countless setting options, a comprehensive single-player campaign, online races and much more.
Total War: Pharaoh – October 11, 2023
After the China excursion in Total War: Three Kingdoms, developer Creative Assembly now moves its strategy game series to the next scenario: historical Egypt, more precisely to the Bronze Age of the former advanced civilization.Pharaoh Merenptah has just died, so now it’s up to you to prevent the disintegration of the empire. For this you join one of three peoples, either the Egyptians, Canaanites or Hittites, and try to rise to the new ruler.
In terms of gameplay, however, Total War: Pharaoh remains faithful and offers the usual mixture of turn-based world map and huge real-time battles. However, the latter are supposed to be much more dynamic, in which the weather now also has a strategic influence. Sandstorms can occur or fires can spread more than planned due to the wind.
Lords of the Fallen – October 13, 2023
The same name, similar game idea, but still a different execution: Lords of the Fallen is back. In 2014 the Souls-like game was developed by the German studio Deck 13, now the sequel is being developed by the Spanish studio Hexworks. Although continuation is to be seen here rather relatively, because the new Lords of the Fallen plays over 1,000 years after the events of the predecessor. Most of the connections are therefore likely to be rather loose.
In terms of gameplay, however, you’ll explore the realm of the living and the dead with your self-created hero, fight mighty bosses, probably kick the bucket a lot, and experience a rather dark atmosphere. Meanwhile, you can strike with swords, axes or a bit of magic, either in single-player mode or with two people in co-op mode.
Sonic Superstars – October 17, 2023
This year, October could also run under the motto “back to the 90’s”, because it’s been a long time since the duel between two of the most famous game mascots in the world. Sega sends its blue hedgehog into the ring on October 17 for almost all current platforms with Sonic Superstars, which is supposed to be a modern 2D Jump ‘n’ Run.
Based on the gameplay first introduced in Sonic Mania, Sonic Superstars takes you to the world of the Northstar Islands, where you can play as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or Amy and take on Dr. Eggman, Fang and a mysterious new antagonist. The Claws of Chaos Emeralds come to the rescue, allowing you to swim up waterways or change your shape. If you want, you can also experience Sonic Superstars in coop mode with up to three friends.
Super Mario Bros. Wonder – October 20, 2023
Three days later, Nintendo countered with Super Mario Bros Wonder, which is also an old-school jump ‘n’ run with a modern twist and a co-op mode. You’ll go from A to B in the classic way, collecting coins along the way, jumping over obstacles and the odd enemy on the head, and maybe even uncovering secrets.
The highlight? The new Miracle Flower, which ensures that something crazy happens in every level: Tubes move, a herd of Gallopteros swoops in, or the entire world suddenly turns upside down. As if that weren’t enough, there are new powerups that allow you to transform into an elephant or move soap bubbles, for example.
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 – October 20, 2023
While there’s a lot of running in Mario and Sonic, there’s a double swing on the PlayStation 5: Peter Parker and Miles Morales slip into their superhero outfits together in Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 to protect the US city from some nasty bad guys. The latter include Kraven, the Jger, Dr. Kurt Connors aka Lizard and Venom in the sequel to the first installment of the series released in 2018. Who the symbiote connects with is still a big secret, because it will definitely not be Eddie Brock, as Insomniac Games already made clear.
In terms of gameplay mechanics, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 will be an evolution with a few targeted innovations. Among other things, you can now use a wingsuit to move even faster through the city, which now includes Brooklyn and Queens in addition to Manhattan. In addition, at least Peter Parker gets a few particularly strong skills in the meantime by merging with the symbiote, while Miles is allowed to upgrade technically as well. Recently, we were able to take a look at the double Spidey ourselves and reveal our first findings in the preview of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.
Cities: Skylines 2 – October 24, 2023
The October series of sequels also includes Cities: Skylines 2, which is released after years of development. For the successor, the Finnish studio Colossal Order also has no revolution in the editor, but a lot of comprehensible ideas and improvements ready. Besides the obviously fancier graphics, there is also much more space to build: A total area of up to 159 square kilometers will be at your disposal to build the city of your dreams.
However, until a city is created, residential, commercial and industrial areas must first be defined, roads drawn, and an electricity and water supply ensured. Beyond that schools, police stations, fire stations, cemeteries and so on should be built, in order to place Stck for Stck the population glcklich. Not to mention that you can now create fancy roundabouts by design and improve service buildings with useful upgrades. When playing at gamescom 2023, Cities: Skylines 2 already left a really good impression.
Ghostrunner 2 – October 26, 2023
Cyberpunk 2077 with the expansion Phantom Liberty doesn’t let you become a cyborg ninja enough yet? Then you might get your money’s worth with Ghostrunner 2, as long as you have a good portion of frustration tolerance. After all, the successor to the surprise hit 2020 remains true to itself in many points, which is why every hit is immediately fatal once again. It’s a matter of adapting to the conditions of the level and getting a little better with every death.
For Ghostrunner 2, the developers promise new skills, with which you can live out the fast-paced ninja experience even more. In addition, you can ride a motorcycle, enjoy more interactive boss fights and listen to a driving soundtrack.
Alan Wake 2 – October 27, 2023
The final point for the big highlights in October is set by an old acquaintance, which was a big Xbox hope 13 years ago: Alan Wake. For years, developer Remedy fought for a sequel before finding a publisher in Epic Games to finance the project. Now creative director Sam Lake and his team want to realize their own vision of a survival horror game and at the same time expand their own universe, consisting of Control and the first Alan Wake.
For this reason, Alan Wake 2 will not only feature the eponymous protagonist, who is trapped in a dark, very dark interworld. Instead, the second heroine is FBI profiler Saga Anderson, who has to solve a strange case of ritual murders in the well-known town of Bright Falls. In the process, however, she gets into the same mess that is already plaguing the unfortunate writer Alan Wake.
In October, it really comes to the agony of choice, because the offer of new releases is large and varied. For this reason, our usual question: Which game will make it to your preferred platform in the near future? Feel free to write your answer in the comments!